Alabama Water Science Center
2005 WATER USE
USGS IN YOUR STATE
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Water Use in Alabama, 2005
Water use by hydrologic unit
Water is one of the most important of Alabama's natural resources. Water is not only a vital component of human existence, it is critical to the overall quality of life. In order to protect and preserve this resource for future generations, we must have a baseline of information to make decisions. Decision and policy makers must know the answers to three fundamental questions: where is the water used, how it is used, and how much is used. These Web pages detail the overall withdrawals of ground and surface waters that occurred in Alabama in 2005.
Water use in Alabama was about 9.96 billion gallons per day (Bgal/d) during 2005. Estimates of withdrawals by source indicate that total surface-water withdrawals were about 9.47 Bgal/d (95 percent) of the total withdrawals and the remaining 491 million gallons per day (Mgal/d) (5 percent) were from ground water. More surface water than ground water was withdrawn for all categories except aquaculture, mining, and self-supplied residential. During 2005, estimated withdrawals by category were: thermoelectric power withdrawals, 8.27 Bgal/d; public supply, 802 Mgal/d; self-supplied industrial, 550 Mgal/d; irrigation, 161 Mgal/d; aquaculture, 75 Mgal/d; self-supplied residential, 39 Mgal/d, livestock, 28 Mgal/d; and mining, 28 Mgal/d. Figures may not sum to totals because of independent rounding.